Friday, May 3, 2013

Mists and Masks = New Sneakers!!!


OMG - was it really the first day of the year when I last blogged????  Where has the time gone??????  It is now the 5th month and there is just no excuse for my 'slacko ways'. I said I was working on the theme of this year being 'simplify' but that kinda takes it to a whole new level. Well at least I can say that I have been busy with lots of things - so I have lots to update - so you just might get sick of my blog updates over the next months!!!

So let's start with our latest crafting experiment......

Every school holidays my Darling Daughter (DD =10 years of age) and I have a 'crafting day'.  Well sadly I worked for most of this last holiday period and well that meant we didn't get our 'crafting time' in until last Sunday - when we spent a lovely day with our friends Cassie and Jeana (hi girls xx).

I asked DD to through my Pinterest Boards and look for some crafting inspiration and this is what she fell in love with......


 
These gorgeous sneakers were featured on Carolyn Dube's blog - A Colorful Journey
 
Having just done a class with the gorgeous Dina Wakley, I had all my mists and masks out on the table and DD was sure we could use these to make our version of 
 
Rainbow Sneakers
 
 
Drum roll please ....... here is our version.......
 
 

 We started with a pair of cheap white canvas sneakers from Kmart - yep a whole $3.50 for DDs size.  Then we played with our mists and masks - we used both Mr Huey's and Dylusions and a variety of Crafters Workshop, Studio Calico and Christy Tomlinson masks - lighter colours first and then built up to our brighter ones (Dylusions).....
 
We finished with cutting out the tongues, 'scuffing' up the eyelet area and adding some rough hand stitching - all this directed by DD to add that 'cool' factor....
 
A few touch-ups with Kindy Glitz and a cute embellishment and we were nearly there!
 
Last but not least some 'writing' .... for this we 'cheated' and stamped some lovely Donna Downey words on the shoes with Stazon Stamping Ink and went over this with a trusty Sharpie pen.
 
Now while these shoes won't be suitable to be scrubbed and cleaned - we did make sure our lovely 'art work' would stay in place by finishing off with a spray of  artist's fixitive and we were all done!!!
 

 







Now we are off to play with another pair and different colour combinations ....
because after-all a girl can never have tooo many shoes!!!

Be back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment