Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Storing My Supplies



Well it's a new year and I think the word that sums up how I am approaching my life this year is 'Simplify'. This has come about because I am determined to:

  • Not overthink things (can't say everything ... that might be just a bit too much for me)
  • Declutter not only my home but my life in general
  • Be more spontaneous and not try to plan things down to the 'enth' degree
  • Make more time for the 'simple' things in life (look after the small stuff and well....)

 Every January holidays I always start with a big clean out in our house and this year is a bit bigger than normal as I am finally starting to go through all my mum's things (she passed away in late 2010) as I found this a bit overwhelming, especially last year while I was battling the Big C.....so it is time to set up my new 'sewing space' and go through the boxes of fabric (yes about 12 tea chests full) and then get the Sewing Circle started so I can share my love of sewing with my local 'gal pals' (and you tooo Brucie xx).

For all us 'Crafters' it is an ongoing challenge to get the 'storage/workspace' just right and I thought as I start to get my 'stash' sorted and 're-stored' in our house I would share my 'journey'.

We have a beautiful 'formal' lounge space in our home and, as this used to be to be my mum's TV room it has taken me a while to re-adjust to 'living' in this space.  So to break down this 'barrier' we both had (me and 10 yr old DD) I decided to move one of my favourite furniture pieces into the space, add some of my favourite 'art work' and setup the Wii (we needed a dance floor) .... we now use this so much more (dancing and singing - much to my neighbours regret) and it has also proved to be a lovely way to store a lot of my 'stash'.....


I purchased this gorgeous cabinet off eBay a few years ago - a guy had it made to house his record and CD collection - all handmade (every drawer is dovetail joined). When I spied it up for auction I knew immediately those cubby holes would be perfect for my paper storage and all those drawers would be great for all my 'scrapping supplies'. I have to say it was a 'steal' ... the guy told me he paid over $900 to have it made and well the luck of eBay and some nifty bidding and it was mine for $36.56 - yep a bargain!!!

After moving this into our 'formal' lounge space I decided that it needed to look a bit tidier and the paper storage was moved elsewhere (that's another story) and I started adding some lovely boxes, baskets and suitcases (thanks to the lovely Miss Lisa who found these lovelies). 

There is so much of my 'stash' hidden away (but easily accessible) and it still looks lovely as a 'statement piece' in our house.  I am always 'tweeking' the art and 'lovelies' on display but for now I am happy that this compliments the beautiful Kelly Rae Roberts art that I so love, my love of 'dressforms' and as you might see down in the right hand corner - some new pieces I am yet to position on our walls (my gorgeous metal flower - thank you Peta xx) and a fabulous big lantern I got for this Christmas and still want to find the right spot for....

Now .... I am off to put together the new (large) Expedite bookcase from Ikea that is still sitting in my garage and get it moved into my 'new look' studio space. I am working on a colour palette of red, white and teal (all because I fell in love with a great red chair and a fabulous white desk).... but this is a work in progress.... just need to remember - keep it simple!!!!


1 comment:

  1. When you finish on that craft room.....well I was just windering if you might visit mine. LOL

    The lounge is looking FAB. Love your work.

    ReplyDelete